; Where The Funds Go
We use the funds donated to Alive and Running Iowa in various ways throughout the surrounding communities. In addition to the following, we are constantly in communication and working on projects with locally-based (Iowa) mental health professionals.
- 2 - $1,000 scholarships each year. One will go to a Dunkerton High School senior and the other will go to ANY student in Iowa, high school or college. Please ask your guidance counselor for the application.
- Billboard advertisement around the Cedar Valley
- Furniture and other needs for local mental health units
- Educational materials to local agencies who work with mental illness and suicide
- Fund local support groups in Waverly and Waterloo
- Sponsor local schools sports programs
- Fund QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer) Trainings, free of charge to those who attend
- Fund ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) Trainings
Black Hawk-Grundy Mental Health Center
December 2021 | $5,000
A total of $10,000 was donated to Black Hawk-Grundy Medical Center that will be used to assist clients with moving expenses. Alive & Running donated $5,000 and the County Social Services matched their amount for a total of $10,000!
July 2020 | $2000
Alive & Running received a $2,000 grant from the Gordon Flesch Charitable Foundation and donated it to BHGMHC. These funds will go towards buying iPads for client check-ins as well as cameras for staff photos.
Two benches were purchased and donated. These give patients and families a place to sit outside and enjoy the weather and sunlight.
UnityPoint Health Allen Hospital
February 2020 | $17,000+
The Mental Health Unit at UnityPoint was able to purchase and install specially-designed desks and chairs for each of their 21 inpatient rooms. This furniture is specifically made to greatly reduce ligature risk with features such as heavily-weighted chairs to make lifting and moving difficult, desks secured to the wall, and no handles, hooks, or gaps that could be used as anchors for other ligature items.
MercyOne Northeast Iowa
February 2022 | $11,000
Alive & Running donated money to the Behavioral Health Unit at MercyOne that will assist in a security upgrade including new cameras to provide a safe environment for patients.